Currently, the Peruvian authorities have arranged four types of entrance tickets to Machu Picchu: the ‘Machupicchu Only’ ticket, the ‘Machupicchu with Huayna Picchu’ ticket, the ‘Machupicchu with Mountain ‘ and the ticket ‘Machupicchu with Huchuy Picchu’. All these tickets allow the tour of the Inca archaeological site as well as the classic postcard photos with the wonder of the world in the background. Some allow additional adventures to the surrounding mountains.
Machu Picchu tickets and their income limits
- Machu Picchu is considered a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Its immense tropical and Andean geography forms part of the Historic Sanctuary of Machu Picchu, an area protected by the Peruvian State. For all these reasons, in order to better conserve this historic and important place, limits were placed on entering the archaeological site of Machupicchu.
- Machu Picchu normally receives 5 thousand tourists per day. During the health emergency this number was reduced. The objective is to protect the Inca archaeological site from visitor traffic.
- Every day the tourists enter through the different types of entrances: a) the Machupicchu Only ticket (approximately 3 thousand visitors), b) the Machupicchu with Huaynapicchu ticket (approximately 400 visitors), c) the Machupicchu ticket with Mountain (approximately 800 visitors), d) the Machupicchu with Huchuypicchu ticket (approximately 400 visitors) and e) the Inca Trail to Machupicchu (approximately 200 visitors).
- To know the availability of each type of entrance to Machu Picchu, you only have to check the following calendar. Choose the type of ticket of your preference and the date for your visit. The availability shown below is the official one:
Advance purchase online
- Each type of ticket to Machu Picchu has limited availability, so it is necessary to make the purchase online and in advance.
- The purchase can be made through the official website: www.machupicchu.gob.pe. You can also do it with the website of an authorized tourism agency.
- Ticket Machupicchu Only – It is recommended to make the purchase 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Huaynapicchu – It is recommended to make the purchase 3 or 4 months in advance.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Mountain – It is recommended to make the purchase 3 or 4 weeks in advance.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Huchuy Picchu – It is recommended to make the purchase 2 or 3 weeks in advance.
The in-person purchase in Cusco
- Tickets can also be purchased in person in the city of Cusco. However, due to limited availability it is not recommended.
- In any case, the purchase can be made at the following addresses:
- Garcilaso Street, s/n, city of Cusco (Decentralized Directorate of Culture of Cusco).
- 340 Maruri Street, city of Cusco (Decentralized Directorate of Culture of Cusco).
- Machupicchu town main square (Municipality of Aguas Calientes).
- These are the tickets that you can buy in person in Cusco:
- Ticket Machupicchu Only – It is recommended to buy the first day of the trip in advance from 4 to 7 days.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Huaynapicchu – The purchase cannot be made on the trip unless it is made 3 or 4 months in advance.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Mountain – It is recommended to buy the first day of the trip in advance from 4 to 7 days. There is a high risk of not finding availability.
- Ticket Machupicchu Huchuy Picchu – It is recommended to buy the first day of the trip in advance of 4 to 7 days.
Learn more about availability
- Because of Covid 19, the availability of tickets to Machu Picchu has been reduced as follows:
- Ticket Machupicchu Only – 2 thousand people per day.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Huayna Picchu – 200 people per day.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Mountain – 400 people per day.
- Ticket Machupicchu with Huchuy Picchu – 200 people per day.
- Machu Picchu is available to visitors every day of the year, except in cases of emergencies such as demonstrations, health emergencies or natural disasters.
- Definitely the most difficult ticket to get is the ‘Machupicchu with Huaynapicchu’ ticket. This ticket only has 400 tickets per day. The purchase must be made online 3 or 4 months before. If you did not find availability, an excellent adventurous option is to buy the ‘Machupicchu with Mountain’ ticket.
- Like the tickets for Machu Picchu, train tickets have limited availability so they must be purchased online a few weeks in advance. The tours already include all the necessary services for the trip: tickets to Machupicchu, train tickets, bus tickets and tour guide service.
- The Inca Trail is a hiking route that allows you to enter Machu Picchu on foot through a 4-day route along the qhapac pan (Inca trails). The daily availability for this route is 200 tourists. Due to high demand, the tour must be purchased 6-7 months in advance.