Machu Picchu: the 5 circuits that can be done
Touring Machu Picchu has many circuits that facilitate the tours due to the abundant demand of travelers who visit the Wonder of the World. Currently, there are five circuits below we will explain some benefits of the different routes. We will also know the main constructions that each of these circuits will show us. Finally, we will see how it is possible to acquire these routes.
It is important to note that the first four circuits can be accessed with the ticket known as Machu Picchu Solo or as Llaqta Machu Picchu. With this ticket, you can only visit the enclosure or the citadel of Machu Picchu. To access the tour of these circuits, you will need to book your entrance ticket to the Wonder of the World one month in advance. Once you have purchased your virtual ticket, we recommend that you plan the activities and travel to Cusco – Peru.
Circuit 1 to visit Machu Picchu
Circuit 1 is ideal for large groups or for those who wish to see all of Machu Picchu in a panoramic way. This tour is shorter, but it will allow you to see the spectacular views of the mountain on which Machu Picchu was built. Also, all the mountains that surround it. The tour of Circuit 1 has an approximate duration of approximately 2 hours.
During the tour of this place, we will be able to capture the postcard photo, the one that is quite popular. It is ideal for a photograph on Instagram or any social network. Then we will go down a staircase to the stone gate of Machu Picchu. And little by little we will approach the area of temples.
The places that can be visited with Circuit 1 are:
- The Lower and upper platforms (from where the postcard photo is taken).
- The viewpoint of the Temple of the Sun.
- The reserve of stones or the quarry.
- The building where the reflecting pools lie that served as astronomical viewpoints.
- Pisonay Square and the housing area.
- Do not forget that, in all the circuits, you will see and know the importance of the platforms or retaining walls.
Circuit 2 or complete tour of Machu Picchu
Circuit 2 is the most popular among foreign tourists, at the same time, it is the most complete circuit that can be found to visit the entire Llaqta de Machu Picchu. You will practically know all the constructions that make up this archaeological site. It is a long journey, we recommend you bring water and some snacks, but always with the responsibility of not leaving any waste inside the place. The travel time is approximately 3 hours.
The tour of Circuit 2 will also allow you to see the exclusive view of Machu Picchu, where you can have the postcard photo with you next to the entire Wonder of the World. Like Circuit 1, we will descend from the upper platform to the stone door of Machu Picchu, we will cross the main area of the temples until we reach the Intihuatana Pyramid. This tour is amazing.
The places that can be visited with Circuit 2 are:
- Lower and upper platforms.
- The Temple of the Sun.
- The stone quarry.
- The Intihuatana.
- The Sacred Rock.
- The colcas sector.
- The Temple of Water Mirrors.
- Temple of the Condor and more.
Circuit 3, the route for everyone
Circuit 3 is ideal for the elderly or those with a health problem that prevents them from taking a long walk, much less climbing steps or similar things. It has important differences compared to other circuits, to begin with, access is more direct, reaching the lower platform directly without the need to ascend to the upper one where you can take a postal photo. The travel time of this enclosure is 1 hour and 30 minutes.
On this route, you will find a simple stretch with ample space. Where they can assist someone who has suffered some discomfort or complication during their journey. This tour is designed to make a quick evacuation or immediate assistance in the event of any unforeseen event or accident.
During the tour of Circuit 3, you will be able to appreciate the following constructions:
- The entrance will guide you to the colcas and the platforms or agricultural area.
- You will be able to appreciate an important water channel before reaching the Temple of the Sun.
- You will follow the path and enter the Casa del Inca.
- The water fountains.
- The Temple of Water Mirrors.
- The last destination will be Plaza Pisonay and then leave the premises.
- The Temple of Condor and more.
Circuit 4 tour in Machu Picchu
Circuit 4 to visit Machu Picchu is one of the busiest because the route opens the way to the Huchuy Picchu and Huayna Picchu mountains. Both destinations involve a hiking trail. But in case you only have the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu alone or entrance to the Llaqta de Machu Picchu , you will not be able to access the Huchuy Picchu or Huayna Picchu pass that starts from the same place. The travel time of this circuit is 2 hours and 30 minutes.
It is a route similar to that of Circuit 3, through wide and easily accessible places. However, later on, it allows you to visit Sacred Rock, which is very close to the starting areas of the hiking trails. It will be possible to visit the main temples and tour the entire citadel.
Thanks to the tour of Circuit 4, we will be able to visit the following constructions:
- The colcas and the agricultural zone.
- Later we will pass through the main temples of Machu Picchu.
- We will follow the path until we reach the Sacred Rock.
- We will see the Casa del Inca and the water sources on our way.
- We will also see more colcas and the other agricultural zone.
- Upon returning we will pass by the Temple of the Condor.
- The Temple of the water mirrors and the area of the houses.
Circuit 5 to visit Machu Picchu
Circuit 5 to tour Machu Picchu is one option that includes another previous tour. This circuit is accessed by those who previously made the Inca Trail. The Inca Trail has another reservation style but includes a visit to Machu Picchu, but only for the circuit, we are talking about. If you want to know more about the Inca Trail reservation, we invite you to visit our blog which explains everything about the Inca Trail.
This tour will be short, for this reason, most people are encouraged to reserve an additional ticket with the entrance ticket Machu Picchu Solo, we have an exclusive blog to talk about this ticket. This tour is fairly short, it lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes. Emphasize that it is exclusively accessible to organized groups coming from the Inca Trail.
The places that can be visited during the tour of Circuit 5 are:
- The colcas which are very close to the entrance area, which are buildings that border the platforms and are dedicated to agriculture.
- Another space that we will see is the area of the Temple of the Sun.
- The canals and fountain of Water.
- And a set of three portals.
- We will finish the tour by Plaza Pisonay.
Map of the 5 circuits
By Imachupicchu – Last updated, April 22, 2023